Pages

Saturday 8 February 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge + Day 8

8. First set of polyhedral dice you owned. Do you still use them?

They came in the box. I didn't even pause to think about why they were cool. They just were. Maybe it was rolling them and hoping for a high number? Especially for those precious hit points, where a 1 really sucked. Or knowing that you wanted the best weapon for your character. Dagger, 1d4? No way! Two-Handed Sword, 1d10! Awesome!

My favourite die? That beloved d20. No matter what you were up against, a natural 20 was always a hit! So much cooler than the six-sided dice I used for combat in Fighting Fantasy gamebooks!

Those original dice are long gone. Stolen from my car a few weeks after my dad died in 2002. I replaced them with new ones soon after. They didn't feel the same. Since then I've also collected some dice from second hand D&D box sets I've bought. It's feels good to have a bag with a variety of dice handy, especially for games with new players. I empty the bag on the table and they get to choose their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment