Pages

Saturday 2 April 2016

Sculpting Fantasy Miniatures + Yeoman Knight

Sir Theobald. 
Thanks to daylight savings, I had an extra hour up my sleeve this morning. What to do with daylight? Well, I finished the sculpt I started yesterday. You can see the step by step photos in my previous post here.

There were some challenges with using Tamiya putty but I don't have any Green Stuff or Milliput, so the old adage "use what you have" applied. Apparently Sculpty is the latest rage? Anyway, apart from some experiments with Fimo in my youth, this is my first miniature sculpting experience.

I have altered and converted miniatures before and have often sculpted terrain elements onto bases. This is the first time I have made a miniature from scratch, beginning with a wire frame and sculpting everything from head to toe.

I used Tamiya Epoxy Putty. It is fairly sticky at first and drys quick. I find it easy to do hair with it and harder to do everything else. The sword was especially troublesome. Other areas came together surprisingly well.








I am pleased with the result. I wouldn't have thought about giving it a go if it weren't for Jason Fairclough and his Wasteman fantasy heartbreaker: Yeoman. Seeing his sculpts took me back to a time when Fighting Fantasy, Dungeons & Dragons and all manner of role-playing and war games inspired me to paint miniatures.

Thirty years on and it's still a fun hobby.

Sir Theobald is similar to the classic Citadel miniatures in my collection. He certainly has plenty of character. I enjoyed creating this knight immensely. So much so, that I am tempted to sculpt another one.

God's peace to you and may you have a blessed week.

10 comments:

  1. That's a nice sculpt. As a first full sculpt, with a difficult putty, it is freaking awesome.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ed, I had a ball. Ideas came to me along the way. The putty made some decisions for me. My friend has challenged me to make a whole party.

      Delete
  2. Fuck me! That's your first ever sculpt? That's better than some of the professionally produced minis I see today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr Papafakis! I love your blog! Thanks for the compliment. After thirty years of painting miniatures, it was an enjoyable experience to make my own!

      Delete
    2. Gee, thanks. It's compliments all round :)

      Delete
  3. Yes, my first. I might try a different modelling putty for my next one. Tamiya putty is great for fixing minis and making bases but for sculpting it has it's challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. First ever?

    Super job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Finch, it was my first but I there will be more.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff! That's some fine work right there ... I especially love the swirl of the cloak; and the face is amazing!
    I must say, I've also been inspired by Jason's work - there's just something about those Yeoman figs of his ...and with a bit of goading from our friend Lewis I've squeezed something together too ...not quite as detailed as yours though :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear ya Rom! Jason's minis are super cool. I dig the mutant you sculpted. Lewis want's me to make a whole party.

      Delete