Pages

Thursday 1 October 2015

Dave Arneson Day + Dungeons and Dragons

Dave Arneson Day, 1st October, 2015.
It seems like a lifetime ago now but back in the 1980's I experienced my first game of Dungeons & Dragons. The red box edition. Before that my adventures had been solo quests through Fighting Fantasy game books.

Although I would soon move onto Advanced Dungeons & Dragons and a host of other role-playing games, that red box was the beginning of  it all. It is also the game I come back to enjoy time and time again. In recent years I have come to acknowledge just how important this game has been not only in my life but also in the world I live in.

Often when credit has been given to Gary Gygax for the creation of Dungeons & Dragons, Dave Arneson is carelessly, or carefully, overlooked or omitted. All my research suggests that D&D would not have been created without Dave Arneson. Indeed his contributions are the foundations of the role-playing games we play today.

Dave Arneson 

So I raise a toast to Dave Arneson, grandfather of fantasy role-playing games and later co-creator of Dungeons & Dragons.

No comments:

Post a Comment