Pages

Saturday 13 June 2015

PTS 84 + King Theoden + Lord of the Rings + Athelstan

Théoden, King of Rohan.
Another week, another Painting Table Saturday... and I'm beginning to wrap up plenty of the mostly-painted miniatures that have taken the long road to completion. Among them is Théoden, the seventeenth King of Rohan, and last of the Second Line of the royal house of Eorl.

I also have a monk that was a freebee with the Reaper Griffon miniature I bought off Malcom Duffy last year. I painted the Griffon as a gift for my friend Justin but the monk, labelled Essex (found it!) on the base and missing a left arm, lay unloved on the painting table for a long while. I donated a new limb, complete with staff, from one of my plastic Lord of the Rings orcs. Hence the gold band at his wrist. Unusual for a priest but perhaps he has been hanging out with vikings? Yes, I have found Athelstan's relationship with Ragnar in the TV series engaging to say the least.


"Arise, arise, Riders of Théoden!
Fell deeds awake: fire and slaughter!
spear shall be shaken, shield be splintered,
a sword-day, a red day, ere the sun rises! 
Ride now, ride now! Ride to Gondor!"

The Lord of the Rings, Book V, Chapter 5: The Ride of the Rohirrim





Ragnar: We will go together to Wessex, and you will be my John the...
Athelstan: The Baptist?
Ragnar: John the Baptist, yes. Wherever you go, I will follow.




God bless you and have a great week!

4 comments:

  1. Excellent painting work and pictures too !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam. I'm using the blue sky mobile phone technique.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Sam. I'm using the blue sky mobile phone technique.

      Delete
    3. Thanks Sam. I'm using the blue sky mobile phone technique.

      Delete