Pages

Thursday 13 February 2014

D&D 40th Anniversary Blog Hop Challenge + Day 13

Adventurer w. Sword - Grenadier Fantasy Lords 101b
13. First miniature(s) you used for D&D?

The first miniature I used for D&D was from a blister set of three Adventurers, from the Grenadier Fantasy Lords series. I painted them all but the fighting man with a two-handed sword appealed most. The other two were armed with battle axe and spear. It was the beginning of a lifelong love: collecting and painting miniatures.

Because I had a job as a paperboy, my collection of miniatures grew quickly. I began painting with enamels (Testors/Humbrol) and then eventually moved to acrylics (Tamiya/Ral Partha/Citadel), which is probably when my habit of licking the brush started. I soon discovered other miniature companies too, with a variety of fantastic heroes, villains, beasts and monsters. With time I started to recognise the work of different sculptors. I'm a big fan of the Perry Twins!

I currently own more unpainted miniatures than painted ones. Sometimes I give them new homes, as gifts to friends, or by selling them cheaply online to other enthusiasts. I also still enjoy painting the older miniatures as well as more recent sculpts. My friends know this, so I often end up with the occasional gift myself. Most of all, there is a peacefulness that comes with painting. As a husband, dad (with three girls), teacher/musician, peacefulness is precious. A good reason to pick up the brush when I have the spare time!

No comments:

Post a Comment