Pages

Tuesday 12 August 2014

#RPGaDAY - Random D30 Awesome

Rest In Peace.
In memory of comedian Robin Williams. I've laughed so many times at your subtle genius, it feels strange to know you're no longer on this planet. Today I found out you were also a gamer and it makes sense to me. Thank you for the joy you brought me on dark days. God bless you. Na-Nu Na-Nu.


Continuing the #RPGaDAY randomness with D30 awesomeness. 

Today's lucky numbers are 24, 15, 25... bonus number 10.†


24th - Most Complicated RPG Owned
15th - Favourite Convention Game
10th - Favourite tie-in Novel / Game Fiction

† Because 25 was answered in my previous post.
Most Complicated RPG Owned
I don't think I've got a complicated game on my shelf. I sold my D&D 3rd edition books because I grew to understand that the older D&D editions I had were 'better'. I've played complex games over the years but I haven't kept them. I have MERP but I don't own Rolemaster. I have Basic Role-Playing but I don't own RuneQuest. I don't believe complicated rules make for a better game. I do have campaign and 'splat' books for games I don't own though. RuneQuest Borderlands, Dark Ages books for White Wolf's Vampire and Werewolf, GURPS Magic. I really should own Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, although I do have Mordheim.


Favourite Convention Game
In my life thus far, I can count the number of conventions I've attended on two hands. I've blogged about this here. Conventions are a great place to play all manner of games, which I do, though I'll usually go for D&D before anything else. If I'm running something, it's usually D&D with an old school feel. It's quick and easy to get people playing a game of early edition D&D or AD&D 1st edition.


Favourite tie-in Novel / Game Fiction
Well, I can honestly say I've read a lot of fantasy fiction. The good, the bad, and the ugly. One author's works stand above all others as an example of how most roleplaying games end up. 


Of course I love the characters and worlds of Tolkien, Burroughs, Lieber, Howard, Moorcock, Le Guin, etc. It's the stuff campaigns are born of. However, once players get involved in the game, campaigns tend to move at a startling speed towards events that you'd read about in a Pratchett multiverse. Douglas Adams and Robert Rankin deserve a mention here also. Sure, every DM starts out with the best of intentions... but then things go all Monty Python. Ironically, if you ran a Discworld campaign, it wouldn't be nearly as funny. The humour usually comes from players taking a game about elves too seriously.

I've also had the good fortune of meeting Terry Pratchett a few times (in New Zealand) at book signings. He's just as witty in person and hugely entertaining.

No comments:

Post a Comment